Saturday, November 9, 2013

Brake time.

Well, not a day goes by that I regret getting the Trekinetic K2.

I set out today to hang out in a field and do some fishing at a small lake. I went early and scoped out the land. If I had come here with my old chair, it would've been a hassle to wheelie all the way across the field and to the lakeside.

I had no trouble what-so-ever. I was able to manage the uneven terrain without a lick of trouble. It is such a nice feeling to know that the terrain I encounter in this behemoth will NOT stand in my way!

One of the parts of the chair that I think is awesome is the way the brakes work and got to use them quite a bit today. Zipping down the hill is so much fun. Having the brake handles right on the inside of the wheels make them easy to grab, but they're just enough out of the way you don't get your hands caught on the handles when pushing. This makes flying down a hill better because you can ease on the brakes and slow your decent. Then, when I got to the lakeside, I engaged the brakes so I could fish and not have to worry about readjusting the wheels or worrying about rolling into the water.

These are not your normal disc brakes that you see on mountain bikes or some other wheelchairs. The way they're set up is that if you pull on the lever, the brake pads expand and press on the inside of the wheel hub. They're internal so they're kind of protected from the elements. Also, when you push the levers all the way forward they engage a parking brake mode. Ingenious!

Stop by tomorrow to see what I write. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment