Saturday, January 25, 2014

More snow and the mall...

So another snow day and a trip to the mall...

There was more snow on the ground than expected. Yes, we just had a foot on Tuesday, but that was cleared away. It was currently snowing and there was about an inch plus of snow and dirty, salty, sandy snow. Needless to say, I had no trouble getting through the parking lot or up the snow covered wheelchair ramp.

My main gripe, however, was almost all the stores I wanted to go into. Major fail. I mean, I know my wheelchair is wide, but c'mon. It's not that hard to organize your store better.

My first obstacle was Zumiez. There was a wire basket down low on a rack that was in my way preventing me from going further into the store. On the other side, there was a table that was too close to a column keeping me from going that way. I turned around and went out.

Next, I went into American Eagle Outfitters. Again, it was a display table that was too far into the aisle.

PacSun, I just went in and then turned right back around again.

Now, I was with one of my children so I didn't make a stink. I wonder what would've happened if I had opened my mouth...

Maybe next time I'll "stand up" for my rights.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had so much trouble just getting around, as a Zumiez employee, I just wanted to let you know that all of our fixtures (tables, cubes, etc) are all on wheels and can be moved around. ADA guidelines require stores to be wheelchair accessible be restricting how close fixtures can be to one another usually, the fixtures on wheels do not need to adhere to this. I believe Pac Sun also has most fixtures on wheels as well.

    I hope your next experience at the mall is better. I hope you'll give us (Zumiez) another chance, and in case you have any trouble at Zumiez, please notify an employee (if anyone is doing their job there should be someone up in the front of the store at all times) and they can move things around to make your shopping experience more pleasurable.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually, I have no problem in this particular Zumiez. The one in the Montgomeryville Mall on this occasion had a bunch of display tables up front and the only way to get to the rest of the store was a pathway between a column and an upright display. Normally, this would've worked, but at the bottom of the end-cap was a wire basket preventing me from passing. I was with my 9 year-old so I just decided to go on my way and not speak to any one. I guess in hind sight, I should've mentioned my problem(s).
      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete