Saturday, November 16, 2013

N.Y. Mets

So, here I was, a New Yorker in Dodger country (strange, also, that they were once a N.Y. team) during that epic year for the Mets...1986. I felt so removed from N.Y. and didn't really fit in.

Being just outside of L.A., they didn't show (or want to watch) the Mets on t.v. during the playoffs. So I'd wheel myself around in my wheelchair with a boombox on my lap, listening to the games. Then, some of the games I'd catch if I got a weekend pass. I know I saw one or two of the world series games on t.v. at a party.

It seemed fitting that my father sent me a video today referencing those Mets. It was of Connie, the owner of Finn MacCool's in Port Washington, recapping his experiences with those Mets of 1986. Port was the home to quite a few of the Mets because of the easy ride in on the train. Darryl Strawberry, just lived down the block from my house.

This is one of the reasons I love Finn's so much.

Here is that video. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment